Buckingham Palace has said it is “under review” after the Queen pulled out of a Commonwealth ceremony at Windsor Castle amid concerns over republicanism. The monarch then attended an event commemorating her father’s role in World War II, where she was given the Order of Merit by Prince Charles.
Her Majesty, who is 95 years old, may never be able to perform certain significant official functions again. (Photo courtesy of Reuters)
The Queen, who is becoming more feeble, continues to cut down on her schedule, missing the Commonwealth Day ceremony for the first time in over a decade.
Her Majesty, 95, is thought to have realized that she may never be able to carry out certain important public engagements again, according to senior royal advisers.
‘The Queen is as alert, capable, and interested as ever, but she isn’t as physically strong as she once was, which is normal for a lady of her age,’ said a source. According to the Daily Mail, a source said.
‘The Royal Family recognizes the importance of investitures in recognizing and honouring people’s contributions to society, and there has been a great push to make up on the backlog caused by Covid limitations.’
The Prince of Wales, Princess Royal, and Duke of Cambridge have been in the forefront of the movement.
‘It’s easy to see them continuing in that spirit, but Her Majesty might perform smaller or one-off investitures as well.’
Despite the fact that the ‘frailties that come with living a long life’ are catching up with her, the source said she is not ill and is ‘as devoted to her official obligations as ever.’
Buckingham Palace did not respond to a request for comment.
In her first face-to-face encounter after recovering from Covid-19, the Queen met Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (Picture: PA)
The queen is expected to attend public events as much as possible, although her appearances will be substantially reduced.
As a result, standing for an hour-long public investiture — bestowing honors – may be difficult for her, therefore they are more likely to be performed by Prince Charles, Prince William, or Princess Anne.
The announcement comes after the Queen canceled today’s Commonwealth Day ceremony at Westminster Abbey.
The Queen’s first big public appearance since hitting her Platinum Jubilee milestone would have been during the service.
Instead, she has requested the Prince of Wales, Charles, to represent her.
Since last fall, Her Majesty has had a number of health difficulties and has been spotted using a walking stick more often.
More about the Royal Family
She is said to be’regretful’ for missing the event, but wants to ‘pace herself’ in public so she may attend a thanksgiving ceremony on March 29 in honor of her late husband, Prince Philip, who died over a year ago.
Last month, the Queen got Covid-19 and has since recovered, hosting a meeting at Windsor Castle with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week.
Mr Trudeau and other sources claimed she was in excellent health and didn’t need to use her cane.
After meeting her at Sandringham last month, another insider verified she seemed to be ‘bright, awake, and walking quite unfettered.’
However, because to her advanced age, the Queen has ‘good days and bad days, as you would anticipate.’
This raises questions about how many of her Platinum Jubilee festivities she will be able to attend, which will take place in early June.
Send an email to [email protected] to reach out to our news staff.
Check out our news page for more articles like this.