The most common use for PDFs is to read them and view their content, but sometimes you need to edit it. This article will show you how to do that on Windows 10 or 11.
The “free pdf editor for windows 11” is a program that allows users to edit PDF files on Windows 10 and Windows 11. The software also comes with a number of other features, such as the ability to add text, delete text, change font size, and more.
The PDF file format is one of the most extensively used for documents and text in general. If you need to modify a PDF file, you’ll need to acquire a third-party tool since Windows 10 doesn’t include one. There is a wide range of software available, both commercial and free, that can handle the task. Depending on the kind of editing you need to conduct, you’ll want to utilize one of them.
Let’s go over what PDF files are and how they’re used before we get into modifying them:
Adobe created the PDF file format, which stands for Portable Document Format. One of the features that distinguishes PDF from other text file formats is that it is meant to appear the same across all systems and programs. Other text files, such as those created by word processors such as Microsoft Word and Open Office, may appear differently on various systems. It may be rather dramatic at times.
This is why crucial papers, such as resumes, are often sent as PDF files. This ensures that they look the same no matter what system they’re being viewed on. One of the reasons scanned manuals and books are often digitized as PDF files is because of this uniformity. Because of this, eBooks are often created as PDF files.
PDF files may include a broad range of material in addition to text and pictures, such as movies, internet connections, and even interactive components. Forms with just some portions made editable, where you may pick check boxes and add your personal information and/or answers to questions, are a frequent type of interactive features. These are the sorts of forms that most people need the use of a PDF editor to complete.
It’s easy enough to edit a PDF file that’s supposed to be modified, but it’s fairly unusual for PDF files to be set partly or completely read-only. Some files may even be password-protected, making it impossible to edit them. If you need to modify a PDF file that is protected in any manner, this tutorial will show you how to get past the restrictions. Now that we’ve covered everything, let’s look at some PDF editing software.
A simple free PDF editor will suffice for the majority of users:
There are apps that you can download and install on Windows as well as programs that you can use straight in your web browser.
In-browser editors are worth a try if you just need to alter a few items quickly:
Sedja and PDFescape are two of the greatest online editors available. Both are simple to use and compatible with a broad range of web browsers.
You may start working on the PDF file you wish to work on as soon as you access the Sedja website. Instructions on how to add or alter text, add photos, fill out forms, add links, and more may be found on the website. Sedja also has a free desktop version that may be used to edit files offline. Both free versions have limitations, but if you like Sedja enough, you may subscribe to a paid version with limitless use and tool choices.
Here’s how to get started with modifying a PDF file:
- When you click Upload a PDF file, a window will appear where you may pick a file.
- After you’ve found and selected the PDF file you wish to modify, click Open. The file will be put up on the website. The time it takes may vary depending on the size of the file and the speed of your internet connection, but it is normally rather quick.
- The file will now appear in the editor on the site. You should be able to pick and choose the parts of the text you wish to change, such as the title or header.
- With the text menu and editing menu at the top of the screen, you may remove or add text, change color, font, and much more.
PDfescape is similar to PDfescape in that it has both a web and a desktop version. The PC version, on the other hand, is only accessible for a free trial before becoming premium. The premium subscription is paid monthly and includes a variety of online features as well as access to the desktop version. There are a few choices for opening PDF files as well as the opportunity to generate a new one after you launch the online application.
To begin modifying a PDF file, follow these steps:
- When you click on Free Online, you’ll be sent to the editing page.
- There will be a few alternatives to pick from when it comes to uploading a PDF file. In most situations, you’ll upload a file from your computer, so choose Upload PDF to PDFescape.
- Click Browse… in the Upload File box that appears. and a window allowing you to choose a file will appear.
- After you’ve found and selected the PDF file you wish to modify, click Open. After that, the file will be posted to the website. The time it takes depends depend on the size of the file and the speed of your internet connection.
- In the editor, the PDF file you choose should show. In my sample file, PDFescape would not enable me to alter existing text, but I was able to add text and draw freehand. As a result, I suggest PDFescape primarily for the purpose of filling out and signing paperwork.
Desktop applications are the best option for editing while offline:
While desktop versions of the preceding editors are available, there are superior free alternatives. PDF reader apps may be your best choice for simple editing, such as filling out forms. For this, Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader are excellent options.
Because Adobe generated PDF files in the first place, using Adobe Reader makes logical. If you don’t want to install anything other than Adobe Reader, uncheck all boxes under Optional offers while downloading the installer.
Once installed, you should be able to read and make basic adjustments to any PDF file, such as filling out forms and signing them.
To open a PDF file in Adobe, follow these steps:
- On the left, under FILES, choose My Computer.
- Now choose Browse. A window will appear where you may choose a file.
- After you’ve found and selected the PDF file you wish to modify, click Open. Adobe Reader will open the file.
- A menu with many choices for interacting with the PDF file you’ve opened will appear on the right. Some, such as Edit PDF, need a paid membership to access the premium features. Click on Fill & Sign to see what edits you can perform for free.
- On the following page, select Me since you’ll most likely be editing this file yourself.
- This mode enables you to fill out forms, add text and symbols to any location, and type or draw your signature.
While not free, it’s worth noting that Microsoft Word can edit PDF files since it’s an application that many people already have. The finest alternatives for totally free PDF editing applications are Xodo and AbleWord.
Xodo PDF Reader & Editor is available for free download and installation from the Microsoft Store. Xodo may be used on Windows tablets and phones in addition to Windows 10 PCs. Xodo is regarded for being quick and simple to use, with a large number of features for a completely free program.
Here’s how to open a file in Xodo for editing:
- Under Open Document, choose the folder icon. A window will appear where you may choose a file.
- After you’ve found and selected the PDF file you wish to modify, click Open. Xodo will open the PDF file.
- While you can’t directly alter the current content, you may highlight, strikethrough, underline, and do other things with it. You may also doodle on the pages and add text, photos, and shapes.
AbleWord is a general-purpose word processor that can edit PDF files and a number of other file types. It can also convert PDF files to Microsoft Word (.doc and.docx) files and vice versa. Because of how it handles files, AbleWord can completely edit any areas of a PDF file that may be locked in other applications. However, it is unable to edit scanned papers since the computer interprets them as pictures rather than words. This is also true for the majority of other PDF editors.
Here’s how to use AbleWord to open and edit a PDF file:
- Select File, then Open from the File menu. A window will appear where you may choose a file.
- After you’ve found and selected the PDF file you wish to modify, click Open. AbleWord will open the PDF file.
- Using the tools supplied, you may quickly change the text as you would in a software like Microsoft Word.
You’ll almost certainly need a premium application for more complicated editing:
Drawboard PDF or Foxit PhantomPDF are the two I’d suggest out of all the possibilities. Adobe’s premium Acrobat DC software is also a viable option. These applications are primarily designed for professional and corporate usage.
Drawboard PDF has a starting price of $11.99 on the Microsoft Store. It’s one of a kind in that it places a premium on the ability to edit using a digital pen or touch input. This may include signatures and freehand drawings, as well as just using the pen to access the other tools more quickly. Because of the software’s reliance on pen input, it’s advised that you try another application if you don’t have one.
A monthly membership cost is required to access additional features geared for professionals. There is a free trial for both the basic application and the pro features. Document Builder is one of these tools, and it enables you to combine numerous PDF files into a single document.
Drawboard PDF should suffice for individuals who need to undertake heavy-duty PDF editing and have the suitable Windows 10 device.
Foxit PhantomPDF may also be used to edit and manage large PDF files. It’s well-known as a robust and feature-rich tool, and the pricing reflects that. A one-time price of $129 is required for the Standard edition of Foxit PhantomPDF, while a fee of $159 is required for the Business version. Those who wish to test it out first may take advantage of the free trial. It’s available for download on their website and in the Microsoft Store.
OCR is one of the premium capabilities included with Foxit PhantomPDF. Optical character recognition is a technique for converting a scanned material into text. This may be done with Foxit PhantomPDF and either a previously scanned PDF file or simply scanning a document in a scanner.
When it comes to standard editing, you may open and modify PDF files by following these steps:
- Under Recent Files, choose Open File. A window will appear where you may choose a file.
- After you’ve found and selected the PDF file you wish to modify, click Open. Foxit PhantomPDF will now open the PDF file.
- You may either select the Edit tab or the Edit Text button to begin modifying the file.
- Text will now be editable, and auto-correct will appear, underlining any misspelled words.
- You may modify the current text, add photos, shapes, links, and make a number of other changes and additions from here.
There are many methods for removing PDF protection, however one of the easiest is to use Google Chrome:
To do so, you’ll need to use Google’s Chrome web browser. This approach will not work with every file, but it will work with the majority of them. Here’s what you should do:
- In Chrome’s address bar, enter the location of the PDF file. For example, if the file is titled test.pdf and is located in your Documents folder, write “C:Users*Your User Folder*Documentstest.pdf” into the bar. Enter the code. If it’s password protected, you’ll have to enter the password.
- Move the cursor over the PDF file to bring up the options bar, then click the Print icon.
- Select Save as PDF from the Destination dropdown on the print menu, then click Save.
- The prompt to save should appear. Choose a location for the file, give it a name, and then click Save.
If everything goes according to plan, the new file should be identical to the original and free of any constraints.
Most Commonly Asked Questions
How can I modify a PDF file by converting it to a Microsoft Word document?
It’s as straightforward as it gets. To begin, open Microsoft Word and choose the PDF file you want to open. Word will then notify you that it will create a copy of the PDF and transform the contents into a format that Word can read. The original PDF will not be altered in any way, so choose OK and go on. Done. That is all there is to it.
What if my PC doesn’t have Microsoft Word installed? Is it still possible to convert a PDF to a Word document without the need of additional software?
Yes, you may do so by uploading your PDF file to Adobe’s website and then choosing the option to convert it. It’s a free web-based solution that should function in any browser, whether on a mobile or desktop device.
Is there any method to edit a PDF for free on Google Chrome?
Yes, one such example is the PDF Editor for Chrome addon. It is compatible with all Chromium-based browsers, including Brave and the most recent version of Microsoft Edge, which has been repurposed to use the popular open-source browsing engine.
“The pdfFiller Chrome extension enables you to edit PDFs in Chrome, generate fillable PDF forms, and share them with others online, on any desktop or mobile device,” according to the extension website. Transform your static PDF into an engaging experience for both the sender and the recipient. With pdfFiller’s complete document management solution, you can save time, money, and improve your team’s efficiency.”
With that stated, we hope you’ll find this extension beneficial and that you’ll find it useful since it’s quite simple to use.
We hope you’ve liked this quick read and that you now know a bit more about the topic than you did before.
Hopefully, this article has helped you in learning about PDF files and determining which editor is appropriate for you. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments in the box below.
The “how to edit pdf on windows” is a question that has been asked for years. The answer is simple, you can use Adobe Acrobat Reader or Microsoft Office Word.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Windows 11 have a PDF editor?
A: Yes, Windows 11 has a built-in PDF editor that can be accessed through File Explorer.
Does Windows 10 have a PDF editor?
A: Windows 10 does not have a PDF editor, but the Microsoft Office software can be used to create and edit documents. If you require more options, we recommend using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat Professional DC.
How do I edit a PDF in Windows 10?
A: In Windows 10, the PDF editor is called Acrobat Reader DC. You can find it in your start menu.
- how to edit a pdf free
- how to edit a pdf in word for free
- how to edit a pdf without adobe
- how to edit a pdf in google drive
- how to edit a pdf on mac